"Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the light of this people. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. Behold, do men light a candle and put it under a bushel? Nay, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light to all that are in the house; Therefore let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven."-3 Nephi 12:14-16

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Week 2

There is this book that I read a few years ago that has a quote in it I really like. It's called Evening Class, but anyways, that's not too important. In the book two of the characters are talking and one of them, named Lou, says to the other, "I don't know Aiden, are you sure there really is a Heaven at all?" To which Aiden replies, "Honestly? I get more and more sure of it everyday." I love that quote and Aiden's response describes exactly how I have been feeling lately. The more time I spend on a mission and here at the MTC the more and more sure I become that there is a Heaven. That Heavenly Father is real and loves us and that we are His children. So many amazing blessings have already been poured out on me. Haha sometimes I feel overly blessed! I love the strong spirit that is here at the MTC.

Anyways, thanks again to everyone who has written me! I love love love mail time (I always sing the song from Blue's Clues). I am going to try to write a lot more people individual letters today but if I don't get to everyone this week know that I love you and hope you are doing well. Mom and Dad thank you so much for all your cute cards. And yes, I got the package. Mom you are so good at picking out things you know I would like- thank you!! Also as a random side note, I love the scarfs we bought. I wear them all the time. Tell William congrats on all the drama stuff! I wish I could be there to see you. You'll have to film part of the play so I can see it when I get home. How are all the dates going?? Driving the ladies crazy yet haha? Also a big thanks to Julia and Jake for their dearelders. Julia I love how you always put something from mylifeisaverage at the end. Haha seriously they always make me laugh.

So things here are going really well! So much has been happening, it seems like I have been here for longer than two weeks. Ali Tingey actually came in last week and I see her all the time! We usually have lunch either before or after each other so we see each other in passing. I also have seen a lot of people from school who work here at the MTC. That's always a lot of fun even though I usually don't have much time to talk to them. So time for random stories. I'll start with some more funny ones. A few days ago we had a fire alarm go off at like 7:00 in the morning! And guess where I was? THE SHOWER. (We had gym that morning, that's why I was showering later). So the alarm goes off and Sister Pierson and I have to jump out of the shower. Everyone was already gone so we hurry and throw on our PJs and run outside. We burst through the doors and of course...there's like 50 elders all dressed standing there! Hahahaha talk about embarrassing! It turns out some sister burnt popcorn. I don't know why she was making popcorn so early but whatever.

Tuesday was "magic Tuesday". The other Dutch district wouldn't tell us what it was but they kept making a really big deal about it. Hahaha so it came and...it was magical. Without going into detail it involved some special medical tests that only those going to Belgium have to have. Haha we could not stop laughing all day and when the new dutch district comes in a month we are definitely not telling them!

So our mission has actually changed. I'm not sure, maybe you have already heard, but it is now going to be the Amsterdam, Netherlands Mission. They are combining the French speaking side of the mission with the Paris France mission. It doesn't change a whole lot for us except for the mission home. We will still have parts of Belgium in our mission.

So my companion and I finally got our progressing investigator. A progressing investigator is really just a teacher, but they get a person and then we get to take them from meeting them, through all the lessons, and hopefully to baptism. It's really really cool because now we can actually start planning our lessons with a person in mind. We've taught the first lesson quite a few times already, but it's been hard because when we go into the TRC we don't know too much background about the people and sometimes they don't play the part well. Our progressing investigators name is Al. He's married, has two sons, and is a computer programmer. We didn't get to meet with him very long but we have an appointment to start teaching him the first lesson on Friday. Yeahh. :)

Dutch is coming along. It's definitely getting harder now, but as always, the Lord is blessing me! We're working on contacting more in Dutch and starting the 1st Lesson in Dutch as well. Oh and I have the first vision memorized! I was very happy/proud, but it a good way, of myself for being able to memorize it quickly. Here it is: "Ik zag recht boven mijn hoofd een lichtkolom, de helderheid van de son overtreffend, die geleidelijk neerdaalde tot zij op mij viel...toen het licht op mij russte, zag ik twee Personen, wier glans en heerlijkheid elke beschriving tarten, boven mij in de lucht staan. Een van Hen sprak tot mij, mij bij de naam moemand, en zei, wijzend op de ander: Dit is mijn geliefde Zoon. Hoor Hem!" I think it is so beautiful! I love teaching about the Restoration. There is such a special spirit that always enters the room. My testimony of Jospeh Smith is growing more than it ever has before. On Sunday night we watched the Joseph Smith movie and I kept getting goosebumps. I love the ending verse, "Shall we not go on in so great a cause?" Ahh just typing it gives me goosebumps. How I love being a missionary. Random fact-I have the bad habit of always saying "I know my companion is true" in Dutch instead of "I know my companion is right." Haha I also frequetly introduce myself as Zuster Pierson.

This week I have been working a lot of patience. There's a Christlike attributes test in PMG and patience was what I scored lowest on. So that's been my goal. I've been praying to understand the Lord's hand in my life more and it's really been working. I think it was on Saturday maybe, but I had a really discouraging afternoon. I don't know what it was but I could not get myself to be happy or to feel positive about anything. It was snowing outside and for some reason for the first time I felt really lonely. So I decided that I needed to read my scriptures and write in my journal. As I did, the most wonderful thing happened. I know this is going to sound really corny, but I turned and look at the window again and it the middle of the sky the sun broke through the snow and everything looked all light up. I felt this rush of love from my Heavenly Father. I felt the need to pray to thank Him and as I did tons of memories came rushing into my head of times when I have felt or seen the love of God in my life. It was a very peaceful moment and I received a lot of comfort and guidance that I needed. I know that Heavenly Father knows each of us personally and has such a plan for our lives. It is amazing. The power of prayer is very real.

Oh goodness, so much more to say. Sunday was incredible. Janice Kapp Perry came and spoke in RS which was so cool! She talked all about the power of hymns in teaching. She had us all sing a bunch of her songs together. We sung A child's prayer, I love to see the temple, I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ, I'm trying to be like Jesus, and Armies of Helamen. Everyone is the room was crying and I swear the spirit was almost tangible. I love the hymns of this church. In choir this week we sung Precious Savior, Dear Redeemer. Wow. There was so much power when we sung! Songs carry such a powerful testimony in them.

Know that I love you all and that I am doing well so there is no need to worry. The other Dutch district leaves on Monday! I am really going to miss them. Especially Sister Reber and Garvin. They are such amazing sisters. I hope I get the chance to serve with them again in the field. Oh and if you could keep praying that my FBI clearance will come that would be great. There have been a lot of problems with Visas lately. Remember prayer really does work! Time's up! Jammer. Oh well, hope everyone is doing splendid.

all my love--Zuster Holbein


No comments:

Post a Comment