"Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the light of this people. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. Behold, do men light a candle and put it under a bushel? Nay, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light to all that are in the house; Therefore let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven."-3 Nephi 12:14-16

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

October 18, 2010

Dear Family,

2 Timothy 2:3 has become one of my favorite scriptures. I love thinking of missionary work as a battle, because that's very frequently what it feels like it is. This week was great but it also had its share of harder times. My goodness, do people need the gospel. Sometimes the world is just a little too messed up, haha especially here in Amsterdam... no, it's a great city, and there are problems all over the world. But really, PEOPLE NEED THE GOSPEL. So thank you all for your examples and the ways that you do missionary work. William, way to go inviting so many friends to church! Don't worry if they say no or back out, you're getting a taste of real missionary work. And in the end it always works out. God has a plan for every one of his children. I frequently say to myself "Ik doe mijn best, en God doet de rest" We just do the best we can.

So today has been a great P-day! We and the elders went to the Anne Frank house this morning. Wow. I learned a lot and actually really felt the Spirit when reading parts of her journals. It was also very sad, for obvious reasons, but it gave me good insight on a lot of things. I learned a lot I didn't know. Like the fact that their hiding place was in Amsterdam. Or that her dad survived. Or that she wrote her journals in Dutch! That was the most surprising. They had the originals on display under glass, and we all looked at them and could actually read them! That was insane but really cool. So yes that's been today.

Other exciting news -- We set another baptismal date! His name is Lewis van de something (bahh I'm so bad with names) and he is awesome. We met him my first day here on a tram and his date is for the 21st of November. Both he and Daphne the other woman we are helping to prepare for baptism are strong people and they both are really enthusiastic about the gospel. Pray that they will be able to make it to church on Sundays. That seems to always be the problem. Oh and this past Saturday there was the baptism of a wonderful woman named Priscilla. She was one of the elders’ investigators but we also worked with her a little. The doop dienst was so wonderful. When she got baptized and came back up her grandson yelled "Nog een keer!" (One more time!) Haha it was so cute. We also did an awesome musical number with the elders. We sang "Come Follow Me" to the tune of "I Like To Look For Rainbows" It was beautiful. My mission has made me love singing. And I don't think I'm that bad actually. Haha though it's probably just a gift of the Spirit. I bet I'll come back and not be able to. We shall see.

So we've had a lot of finding time this week and I came to two cool realizations. Story of my mission -- I feel like my mission is opening up my mind to what the gospel actually is. What is means to be a Latter-day Saint. You know? It's like I got it before, but not really. Or just not all of it. Here I have had so many "Ah-ha!" light bulb moments. I love it.

This week while finding we met some of the most amazing people. One woman we met started crying as soon as we said we were from the Church of Jesus Christ. She totally opened up about how unhappy she was and how she doesn't know where to turn. We had a powerful lesson with her on the street about the atonement and we read with her from the Book of Mormon and prayed. Another woman we met doing doors said she didn't believe it God at all, but she let us pray with her, and when we finished the prayer and looked at her she was crying. Another young man let us sing "Count your Blessings" for him and happily took a copy of the Book of Mormon. Another man asked me specifically what the center of our gospel was and I got to boldly and plainly testify that Jesus Christ and his atonement are the center, and because he loves us he still guides us today through a prophet.

Another time a man was talking about the Holy Ghost, and a scripture came into my head that I had read earlier, but I couldn't remember where it was. I prayed though and just opened the Book of Mormon, and there it was. I shared it with the man and he was openly touched. So many little miracles. That's how God works. I believe 100% in a God of miracles.

There have been so many wonderful people that we've met and shared the gospel with -- but the thing is, none of them would give us their information. They all said they would call us. From the beginning of my mission until just this past week that has really bothered me. I've thought, "Oh come on! You felt the Spirit; I know you did. Why don't you want to learn more?" But just this past week it hit me. Sometimes it takes people many times to actually accept the gospel; and you know what? I believe that. A lot of the people who have recently been baptized here in Amsterdam are those who were FORMER investigators or had come in contact with the Church before. It just wasn't their time then. And I thought Dad about how you always say that every card, every smile, every song, every prayer, every Book of Mormon given away has a purpose. It helps someone. Maybe they don't become an active investigator right then and there, BUT they do get one more contact closer. One contact closer to accepting it. So maybe I have to talk to 100 people, and go along the doors, and feel the Spirit with people, and then they say no. It's okay. Because it's all just laying the foundation. I'm happy to help do that.

Haha, time's up. I'll have to share my other insight next week.

I love you all! I'm happy and loving it, and really couldn't ask for more. Blij maar geweldig.

Met liefde,
Zuster Holbein

No comments:

Post a Comment