"Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the light of this people. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. Behold, do men light a candle and put it under a bushel? Nay, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light to all that are in the house; Therefore let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven."-3 Nephi 12:14-16

Monday, July 11, 2011

Miracles Again and Again

Dear Family!!

It's been such an incredible week! I cannot even begin to describe the miracles we've seen and the happiness I feel. Really -- words never do things justice. I wish I could just put all of my feelings and love in a big box and then just open it whenever I wanted to tell people about it so they can feel it too.

Ok goodness, where do I begin? I hope you all are sitting down because it was a good week. :) I'll have to go quickly because I don't have much time. Story of my life.

So Monday night we met Neda at the church just to go over the baptismal interview questions. We met her at 8:00, and we didn't get home till almost 10:00! Haha -- and we live across the street from the church. She is such a doll though, and it was one of the most spiritual experiences ever. We talked about everything and she was so ready. She knew all the answers, and kept saying things that would make me think, “Wait... did we teach her that? Oh wait that's right Zuster Holbein, it's really not about you. The SPIRIT teaches.” I love it. At the end we sang “Lead Kindly Light” for her and she got all filled up and said that the gospel is the best thing she's ever found, and how happy she is. :) :)

Tuesday was great; she totally passed her interview and it ended up being a total miracle. President Brubaker had to come interview her. And President, while he does really well, doesn't speak Dutch. And as far as we knew Neda doesn't speak English besides, “Hello, How are you?” those sorts of things. Then the amazing happened. Neda was able to understand and say everything in English. What the heck? AMAZING. :) When she came out after she was like, “I have no idea how that happened! I don't speak that good English! It's a miracle.” It was, of course, the gift of tongues miracle. Love it. So that was awesome.

Friday we went out exchanges and I got to go with Zuster Reber -- so fun! She was in the MTC with me so we've never been able to work together. We had such a great day. We first went to have an appointment with Broer Sjef, the 62 year old recent convert. It was so funny; we biked over there and as soon as we got there it started pouring rain! I looked at Sjef and said, “Oh my gosh Sjef, it's because Noah's Ark left Gouda today.” His mouth dropped open and he said, “We didn't listen!!!” Haha. I found it hilarious.

Anyway, after that we went and did a consecrated hour of finding in the Centrum. I love finding. Love it. Zuster Reber and I were like -- this is it, let's go all out, we're going to boldly, fearlessly approach these people with our testimonies. And so we did. And... WE FOUND 4 NEW INVESTIGATORS. :) Please take a moment of silence for that miracle. For the record, that doesn't happen very often. In one hour anyway. It was such an amazing blessing. It was like everyone we were talking to was interested.

And now we come to Saturday -- Neda's baptism. Neda had told us that she wanted to bear her testimony at the service, and she wanted us to come over early to help her write it. Saturday morning we went over, and it was so beautiful. Neda really believes, more than anyone I think I've ever met, that God is a God of miracles. She wrote down how the biggest miracle in her life has been finding the true Church. She wrote that her whole life she has asked herself, “What's my purpose? Why am I here?” And then she got all filled up and said, “And now I know why I am here; I am a daughter of God.” It made me cry to hear that. I did a study awhile ago about the important things we need to know. One of the fundamental things I feel it is important to know is that we are children of God. Knowing that makes all the difference.

After being with her, we ran all over Rotterdam and Gouda getting things ready -- appointments, etc. Then the baptism was in the evening. Neda brought so many people! (about 8 I think). A lot of her family came too which is a big deal because they are Muslim. We also had great support from the ward and other missionaries and investigators. It was such a Spirit-filled evening. How do I describe it? Love. So much love. More than I knew was possible. Afterward everyone stayed and talked and we got to contact so many non-members. I was talking to Ieda, one of Neda's friends who came, and she said that during the whole service she felt like there was a big warm blanket wrapped around her. The Spirit! And now she wants to learn more! :) :) Sunday was also great; Neda was given the gift of Holy Ghost, and her Mom and another friend came too.

I feel so much love for these people. This week is going to be so hard saying goodbye! Everyone keeps saying... “But you're coming back... right?" Ahhh… I WOULD LOVE TO. Anyway, I really have been taking your advice Mom to just conquer each day. And thinking the future is as bright as my faith. I believe more than anything that God is aware of everyone, and I can't forget that means me too. So no fears, right? Oh I wish I had more time or more words to help you all understand, but just know that I am 100% in love with... everything. Haha, the gospel, my testimony, the people, my Savior, my Heavenly Father. Life is rich, chocked full of blessings.

I pray for you all and love you all!

Met liefde,
Zuster Holbein

Oh and p.s. Today was an awesome day! We went to Kinderdijk and got to go to a Delft factory and yeah... you all will see soon how that went.

If you've got a smile and share the gospel, things work out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment