"Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the light of this people. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. Behold, do men light a candle and put it under a bushel? Nay, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light to all that are in the house; Therefore let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven."-3 Nephi 12:14-16

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Happy late Father's day Daddy!! I sent a card for you and pictures
home last week, so hopefully you will get them within the next few
days. Thank you so so so so much for the wonderful example and the
wonderful father you are to me. I learn so much from you and I tell
people about you all the time. I wish they would let us talk on the
phone on Father's day too. Haha I think it's because they think
Fathers don't need all the verbal reassurance of love as much as the
mom's do. But do know that I love you so much and am sending you a
big hug and kiss.

Oh and please do not worry about what Zuster Tibbitts said in her
email. What I assume she was talking about was an inactive family we
teach who does live in a not as nice part of town. Don't worry
though; they live right on the outside of it right by the tram halte
so we don't ever go anywhere dangerous. And we only go in the day.
Haha trust me, we're smart girls. I do appreciate your concern
though. We talked to President yesterday, isn't he wonderful, and
everything is all good. I'm glad you were able to talk to him.

So this has been an incredible week! We have had so many powerful,
Spirit packed lessons I am actually pretty tired today! It's funny
how spiritual experiences can do that to you.

We had our first lesson with Sebastian, the man who stopped us on the
street, and his family and oh my goodness was it powerful. The Spirit
does amazing things! Haha I take no credit. We watched the
Restoration DVD with them and they loved it. The wife kept saying
everything was prachtig, beautiful, and Sebastian couldn't take his
eyes off it. They also have 4 daughters who really liked it, and they
had so many questions. Everything is very new for them, but slowly
they are beginning to see the truth. Oh and we definitely had a big
miracle at the beginning of the lesson. The Restoration DVD we have
is in 12-plus different languages and in order to get it to play with
Dutch subtitles you have to have a remote to choose it. Otherwise it
starts playing in Chinese I think. Anyways, for some reason they
couldn't find the remote, and so we weren't going to be able to watch
it. But then, it just started playing, and all of a sudden Dutch
subtitles popped up. Haha it was such a tender mercy and miracle from
the Lord! Trust me, I know from experience if you do not have the
remote that does not happen. Oh the miracles. :)

We also had another great appt with Enok and Marie Christine and their
family. Marie Therese actually came to teach with us which was
awesome! They are committed to being baptized but because of some
circumstances can't set a firm date yet. Everything will work out
though, and they are growing beautifully in their testimonies.

Oh other awesome news -- I can't believe I forgot-we have another
baptismal date! Her name is Adella and she is wonderful! She will be
baptized August 24th. She just had a baby and it's been wonderful to
see how the plan of salvation is opening up her eyes to the eternal
perspective of her’s and her family's life. William too is also still
getting baptized, but his date was pushed back and after praying we
decided to give him to the elders. He really doesn't live in the best
part of town and we felt the elders would be wonderful for him.

We've done a lot of great work with the members this week. Thursday
Zuster Fritz and I made dinner for Marie Therese and Rene, another
recent convert. It was a really random dinner, fried rice, and then
what I told them was homemade Kentucky fried chicken but they thought
it was so good. We made no-bake cookies for dessert haha and they
thought they were so gross! Haha not it a mean way, but it just goes
to show the difference in taste here. Haha it was great to see their
reactions.

We also ate with Br and Zuster Schiltz and older couple in our ward.
She's from Ireland and he's from here, and they are hilarious! I
don't think I've ever laughed so much. And they gave us a referral
which was awesome!

Last night we went and ate with Brother Nuyens, our ward mission
leader, and that was quite the interesting experience. Haha I love Br
Nuyens, he is amazing but he speaks Antwerps, which is a dialect of
Vlaams, and thus very difficult to understand. It was just funny,
even Zuster Fritz has a hard time understanding him sometimes. He
taught us a lot though about the culture. They thought it was
hilarious when we started speaking English really fast and they
couldn't understand us.

Overall, another wonderful week full of miracles, hilarious moments,
and tender mercies from the Lord. I love you all! Please keep doing
missionary work. Help the ward missionaries; be good examples. You
are wonderful!

Met liefde,
Zuster Holbein

1 comment: