"Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the light of this people. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. Behold, do men light a candle and put it under a bushel? Nay, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light to all that are in the house; Therefore let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven."-3 Nephi 12:14-16

Monday, August 16, 2010

The Smiling Coast of Africa

Tjonge Jonge. What an amazing week. Really, no email I could ever write could describe the wonderful, blessed week this has been. We truly have been blessed by the Lord is so many ways. I can't remember a time thus far on my mission that I have been so happy or felt so much love from those I serve and those I serve with.

Thank you so much for your prayers. I feel them. I received a blessing this week and was told that the prayers of those at home would be a great benefit to me. I believe that.

I am so happy to hear that all is going well with baby Rhett! He is so cute. I talk about him all the time, it's a great way to start a contact with people.

So there is so much to tell you all. First of all, we found out about transfers last night and... Zuster Fritz and I are both staying right here in Antwerpen! Yeah! I am so so so so happy to be staying. I wasn't worried to leave, but things are getting on a roll here and there are so many people I want to stay and help. So yes, another 6 weeks here in this blessed city. I have a feeling the best is yet to come. :)

Other random news, we found out at zone conference that the dress code for sisters has been changed. All over the world now we are no longer required to wear tights, and the skirts just have to cover the knee. And they want us to wear more color and pattern. Haha wahoo! :)

Monday night was spent in Amsterdam and was an answer to prayers. Zuster Cranford, who was actually in my younger group in the MTC, and I got to go out and do finding together. It was awesome! It was my first experience being the senior companion which was crazy but so fun. It helped me feel a lot more confidence in my Dutch and my abilities as a missionary. We had a blast talking to all kinds of amazing people and I rode my first bike since I've been on my mission. Crazy but true. We just walk everywhere here. I have come to realize that contacting people is the best medicine ever. If I'm ever feeling sad or thinking too much about myself, all I have to do is go contact someone and immediately I feel better.

Tuesday we had mission-wide sister exchanges. Zuster Sharp, Zuster Fritz’s MTC companion, came down to Antwerpen with me for two days and we saw so many miracles. Zuster Brubaker actually came with us on Tuesday and we found a new investigator, taught several powerful lessons, and got soaking wet while running to catch a tram in the rain. Haha Zuster Brubaker certainly got a real missionary experience! Wednesday night we traveled back up to Den Haag and stayed the night in the apartment there with 5 other sisters which was a lot of fun. And then Thursday was zone conference in Leiden. President Brubaker actually wasn't able to be there, which was crazy, because he hurt his toe and was in the hospital! No worries, he's fine now. The assistants did a wonderful job teaching us. The theme was “What is the doctrine of Christ?” We're studying 3 Nephi 11 and 27 and it's been really cool. Oh, and my flute came that day, and I played it at the last minute for a musical number at zone conference. It felt so good to play again, but I definitely need to practice before Elder Ballard comes. Elder Reltiz who plays piano, Elder Wood who plays violin, and myself are playing a really pretty arrangement of Beautiful Savior.

Friday night we had a movie night at the church and watched The Testaments. It was seriously so powerful and we had a lot of investigators come. It was the perfect pump up for Saturday morning and the baptism of Joseph Mendy!!! Oh my goodness words can not do justice to the beauty of that day. Everything was perfect. Joseph was so prepared and so happy. He was glowing. We had a wonderful turnout from the ward, and a bunch of the African sisters brought food to eat. Joseph is truly a different person now. We didn't take anything from his faith, but we really did just add so much. We got him a quad as a surprise for his baptism and he loves it. He brought it to church on Sunday and was already marking it up. I am so happy for him and am excited to help him progress and make his way to the temple. On Sunday after receiving the Holy Ghost he was telling everyone that this was the happiest day of his life. I think I've told you before, but he comes from Gambia, or as he likes to call it "the smiling coast of Africa." Gambia is actually 95 percent Muslim, so it is a miracle that he has such faith in Jesus Christ. Seeing his progression in this gospel has been a miracle. You'll have to look on the blog for his full story. Zuster Fritz and I are sending it in today.

I love you all so much. Thank you for everything you do for me. I know this gospel is true. It's everything, people HAVE to have it. I'm grateful for my chance to serve the Lord. It's the best thing ever. Echt waar. :)

Met liefde,
Zuster Holbein

No comments:

Post a Comment