"Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the light of this people. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. Behold, do men light a candle and put it under a bushel? Nay, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light to all that are in the house; Therefore let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven."-3 Nephi 12:14-16

Monday, August 30, 2010

Wat ben ik blij

It was so great to get letters from you all this week! Thank you so much for your support and love and prayers. I'm so happy to hear that all with Rhett is going well. He is absolutely adorable! I sent him a card this past week, so hopefully it will be coming soon. I also bought him a my first words book in Dutch and I can't decide if I want to send it home or just bring it with me when I come back. I can't wait to see pictures from the blessing. You should send pictures of the nursery and stuff too. Julia I am sure you are an amazing mother! And Jake that you are a great father of course. It's crazy that when I get back there will be a baby! Haha weird.

This week has been amazing! We've seen so many people make so much progress and it's wonderful. It's hard to believe that Joseph was only baptized a week ago. He came on joint teach with us this week! Now that was awesome! And also slightly hilarious because he was using all the same questions and scriptures that WE used on HIM. Like, "So according to this scripture, why is baptism important?" It was so great to see; Zuster Fritz and I couldn't stop smiling. He also had us and a member Zuster Van Wauwe over for a Gambian dinner. A lot of times eating African food means fish, but thank goodness this time it was just beef. Haha though I am building up tolerance for it! It was a lot of fun and we also got to see our old investigator who he lives with. Turns out he is Muslim, but is still so friendly and open to hear things. He told us that he's never seen Joseph happier. We taught Joseph about the temple and he is going next month to do baptisms for the dead. Yeah!

All the rest of our investigators are doing great. We've had some really sad disappointments with a few people dropping us, but I really do know that they are in the Lord's hands and their time will come even if it's not now. And we definitely keep on praying for them. We have found so many new wonderful people! Last night we had a wonderful second appointment with twins Sarah and Stella and committed them to being baptized October 9th. They are super positive and are very excited about the Book of Mormon and seeing how it works with the Bible. Lilian is also doing really well. Her date is for the 19th of September and she has made so much progress with things like the Word of Wisdom. She now calls us and asks for more reading from the Book of Mormon -- who does that? She is golden!

One of our tender mercies/miracles for the week came in the mail this past Tuesday. We went to the church for district meeting and Brother Nuyens told us that a letter had come to the church for Zuster Fritz and me. That was a total surprise and we had no idea who would have sent us a note to the church. We asked him who it was from and he said that he didn't know, just someone from the Netherlands. He gave us the letter and it turns out to be from a man named Nico who we met in a consecrated hour a few weeks ago. We met him on a bench when he had just sat down and prayed that God would lead him to truth. We taught him a whole lesson on the plan of salvation, and prayed with him. It was a beautiful lesson. Anyway, he sent us a postcard. I wish I had it with me, but on the back at the end of the letter he wrote "It made my day to talk with you about the love of God and to pray. I read the beautiful book you gave me. It was nothing new or strange but like something I've always known in my heart. I am so grateful that God sent two wonderful young women to our little countries by the sea to spread his word. Thank you." It seriously made me cry. He gave us his correct info; we had the wrong number before, and we gave it to the elders in Amsterdam where he lives and they are going to start teaching him! What a blessing. Every little moment really does count. Every person you talk to, you really never know the effect you have. That's only one of the million reasons why I love this work.

Well that's about all I have time for. Ik hou van jullie. The Church has been restored. We have a prophet on the earth today. Christ lives. Wat ben ik blij!

Met Liefde,
Zuster Holbein

No comments:

Post a Comment