"Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the light of this people. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. Behold, do men light a candle and put it under a bushel? Nay, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light to all that are in the house; Therefore let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven."-3 Nephi 12:14-16

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Oh the weather outside is frightful

Helloo everyone!

Welcome to winter in the Netherlands! We had a first snowfall on Thanksgiving, and as I speak it is pouring buckets. Biking in the snow is well... interesting. Definitely going to take some practice and a lot of slowing down. The cold weather itself also makes things fun. I will have to send pictures home of Zuster Kremer and me when we go out. The other day I wore 3 skirts, 4 shirts and a sweater, 2 scarves, 2 hats, boots, gloves, just about everything I could find. I'm sure I look hilarious. But hey, it's worth it to stay warm. I'm also fighting a cold at the moment but I have medicine-ish stuff and I took a nap today so it should go away soon.

Thank you for your wonderful emails! I'm glad that you were all able to come together for Thanksgiving. What a wonderful holiday. We had hands down the best Thanksgiving ever. (Haha, Zuster Kremer makes fun of me because I say “the best” or “the coolest thing ever” all the time. Oh well, it's still true.) We spent most of the day finding, and met some of the most amazing people. I only met one American, but I did get to say Happy Thanksgiving to him. That evening we went to Claire’s, an American's house and had a wonderful feast with her. It was Zuster Kremer's first Thanksgiving, haha.

I actually don't have much time to write because the snow kind of messed up our plans, but I will share a cool miracle. Saturday night we went to a member's home for dinner and we had a lesson with them on being led by the Spirit. We talked about how as missionaries we do consecrated hours of finding every day, and that we pray the night before and then look at the map to be led by the Spirit to know where to go. So we had them kneel down in prayer with us and then look at our map, and we all picked out a street together. We told them that we were going to do it from 4:00 to 5:00 on Sunday, yesterday, and that they could pray at 4:00, and then we could call them at 5:00 to tell them what happened. So they picked this little street kind of in the middle of nowhere and we went. The hour started and was ok, nothing really big happened. But we were not discouraged! About 10 minutes before the end of the hour we knocked on a door. A man answered and after we introduced ourselves and asked him about his belief in God he said, “No, no, I don’t believe,” and went to shut the door." But suddenly I felt something so strong to stop him so I just blurted out, “No, please, we have a very special message. Is it ok if we just come in for a minute?” He looked at me and then said, “Well... ok, yes”! So we went inside and met his wife and ended up teaching them a whole lesson about the Book of Mormon and gave them a copy. They were both really touched, and after the prayer they asked us to come back! Their names are Fam Graas and they are incredible. I'm so happy to go back. And it’s all because of the faith of some members combined with ours. It was a miracle.

Thank you so much for your letters and love. I miss you this holiday season, but I am so excited to be here and to share the gospel of Jesus Christ. What a perfect time of year to do it!

Met liefde,
Zuster Holbein

No comments:

Post a Comment