"Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the light of this people. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. Behold, do men light a candle and put it under a bushel? Nay, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light to all that are in the house; Therefore let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven."-3 Nephi 12:14-16

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Juich, wereld, Juich

Goededag lievers. :)

Thank you for your wonderful emails this week! I love your spirit and beautiful testimonies. It means a lot to me to know that I have your love and support. I'm excited to talk to you all too! Unfortunately I can only make one phone call on Christmas but I would LOVE to be able to talk to everyone so I think a 3-way call would be wonderful if that's possible. I am excited to hear your voices. Oh and I can only talk for 30 minutes as far as I know. I'm not sure on times or the number yet but I will get that to you next week.

Snow in KY, eh? It's been snowing all week here. Yesterday it rained though and now everything is iced over. GEVARLIJK. And as a bit of sad-ish news, I've been really sick all week. So Mom, I know the feeling. I woke up Tuesday night at 3 in the morning with terrible pain in my stomach and lower back; I couldn't walk. That pain stayed through the whole week. Thank goodness I am surrounded by so many amazing people; I had a lot of help. Because I'm stubborn I wouldn't go to the doctor... yeah, I know, stupid me. But I tried a lot of other things first. Zuster Pancratz the senior sister here thought that it was some kind of kidney infection. I had a fever the first few days. It was so so so so frustrating. I do not like being sick as a missionary. I don't like to stop and I can't just lay around; that drives me crazy. It was not a fun time. But we did our best to keep the work going. I went out as much as I could and a lot of members helped by going out with Zuster Kremer. We were still able to keep teaching and we got 5 new amazing investigators. And, yes, I went to the doctor this morning because people started threatening to kidnap me if I didn't go. Long story short, the doctor said I have a very swollen intestine and he gave me some pills. So no worries! It's going to all be better by tomorrow I know it.

But besides that it's been a great week. I can't believe I left this out of my email last week, but I got to go to the temple again this past Saturday. Luckiest missionary in the world, I know. Marijke Zen is a wonderful older woman here in the ward; she was baptized and taught by Zuster Fritz a year ago, and she went through the temple! I got to go as well as Zuster Fritz because I have been helping her prepare and she asked me to come. Oh it was glorious. Almost the whole Amsterdam ward came. And, get this, best thing ever -- we show up to the temple late, we had to drive through a big snow storm, and when we walk in a group was coming out of the baptismal font, and guess who it was... all of the young adults from ANTWERPEN. And guess who was there? Heidi and Andy! Ahhh two of my favorite converts ever. It warmed my heart more than I can describe to see them both in the temple. I really had this duh moment of yeah, the temple is really the goal we work for. It's not just baptism; we're going for higher covenants here. It was such a beautiful day. After the session Marijke was able to be sealed to her husband. I had never seen a sealing before but I have to say it was the best part of the day. It made me cry to see Marijke there so so happy. When it was over she jumped up and said "Ik heb mijn man weer terug!" (I have my man back again!) Oh it was WONDERFUL. I was glad I was able to feel well enough to go. Miracle of the week.

And the random funny moment of the week. Yesterday in church in the investigators class the lesson was on the law of chastity. Haha my favorite. And of course this happens to be the day that we had this younger 24 year old guy who we met on the metro show up to church. So we're sitting here in the lesson and our ward mission leader Br Zonneveld was supposed to give the lesson. He gets up and says, “Alright so this is the lesson, law of chastity..." and all these random things. And then he turns to me and says, "Well, Zuster Holbein I think you could explain it better, what do you say?" And I got to explain it all... thanks Br Zonneveld. It was fine, it just made me laugh more than anything.

Oh other miracle, remember Unique? She's getting baptized on Saturday and I get to go! I am SO happy for her! I'll try and send pictures.

Well I love you all. Stay warm! I'll email you next week about the phone call. You're wonderful! I appreciate so much all you do. Tomorrow is the mission Christmas concert in Leiden. I'm playing my flute. Pray it goes well and that I feel better!

Met liefde,
Zuster Holbein

No comments:

Post a Comment